Monday, March 4, 2013

How to Transition into Phase 3 of the HCG Diet

I've written several blogs on Phase 3 of the  HCG Diet, probably one for each of my four rounds.Why so many? Well, Phase 3 is a MAJOR part of the HCG Diet. This is the phase that will solidify your weight loss.

I constantly get questions about Phase 3 from anxious HCG Dieters. Understandably, people are nervous to start adding in more calories after being restricted for so long. Today I want to provide you with a very basic, but thorough Phase 3 outline. These are my recommendations based upon my experiences. Sometimes what works for me may not work for you, but hopefully you'll find the guidance I give helpful.

I get it, you've been eating hardly anything for 26 days or more. You're excited to have more variety. Take a breath and slow yourself down. I'm not trying to burst any bubbles here, but your Week 1 on Phase 3 is going to be pretty similar to Phase 2.

Here are a few things to remember during Phase 3 Week 1:
-Double the servings you ate in Phase 2
-Cut out Melba Toast, it's not allowed in Phase 3
-NO DAIRY..yet
-Only add in a couple of fruits and veggies during this week
-Start exercising
-Aim for 950-1000 calories
-You can start adding regular cosmetics back into your routine
-Continue to drink 1/2 gallon - 1 gallon of water
-Keep a detailed food journal
-Avoid Carbohydrates unless they are coming from fresh fruit

Week 1 Phase 3 Sample Menu:
Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs - 140 calories
Snack: Apple - 85 calories
Lunch: 6 oz Chicken - 256, 1/2 c. cherry tomatoes - 45, 2 c. lettuce - 10, Pace salsa - 35
Snack: 1 scoop Triumph Slim - 80, 1 cucumber - 45
Dinner: 6 oz shrimp - 168, 1/2 c. broccoli - 30
Snack: 1/2 c. raspberries w/ Trulicious - 32
Total Calories: 926

You'll notice that the only additions were extra servings of food, broccoli, and raspberries. It's pretty straight forward. You'll also notice that there isn't Melba Toast added or diary. Now I know that this is rough because it isn't the added variety you were hoping for, but trust me when I say you don't want to rush into adding too many foods too quickly.

Moving on to Week 2 of Phase 3, you can try adding in a couple of dairy items and some more veggie options.

Things to remember for Week 2 Phase 3:
-Continue to keep a detailed food journal
-Don't purchase low-fat dairy products, they may have less calories, but they usually have more carbs
-Add dairy in one serving at a time
-Continue to drink 1/2 gallon - 1 gallon of water
-Aim for 1000-1100 calories
-Continue exercising

Week 2 Phase 3 Sample Menu:
Breakfast: Apple - 85 calories, Boiled egg - 70
Snack: 2 thin slices of Swiss cheese - 140
Lunch: 6 oz lean beef - 411, broccoli - 30
Snack: Triumph Slim - 80
Dinner: 6 oz chicken - 256, 2 c. lettuce, 1/2 c. - 10, cherry tomatoes - 45
Snack: 6 strawberries - 45
Total Calories: 1,127

Once again, you'll notice that the addition was minimal. If your body responds well to this change you can slowly start to add a bit more.

As you progress toward Week 3 of Phase 3 you can start adding in various healthy fats like avocado and yogurt.

Here are some things to remember for Week 3 Phase 3:
-Continue to keep a detailed food journal
-Don't purchase products that are low-fat
-Add healthy fats in one at a time
-Continue to drink 1/2 gallon - 1 gallon of water
-Aim for 1100-1200 calories
-Continue exercising

Week 3 Phase 3 Sample Menu:
Breakfast: Greek yogurt w/ stevia - 146,
Snack: Apple - 85, 2 thing slices of Swiss cheese - 140
Lunch: 6 oz chicken - 256, 1 cucumber - 45, 1/2 avocado - 161
Snack: 1 scoop Triumph Slim - 80
Dinner: 6 oz shrimp - 168, zucchini - 120
Snack: orange - 70
Total Calories: 1271

So by this point you've made it to Week 4 of Phase 3. Your body should be stabilizing. You should be learning the foods you can and can't eat, and hopefully you've developed some good exercise habits.

Here are some things to remember for Week 4 Phase 3:
-Continue to keep a detailed food journal
-Experiment with condiments, just make sure there isn't added sugar
-You can start testing other fatty, healthy foods like peanut butter, squash, nuts, ect.
-Continue drinking 1/2 gallon - 1 gallon of water
-Aim for 1200-1300 calories
-Continue exercising

Week 4 Phase 3 Sample Menu:
Breakfast: Plain Greek yogurt w/stevia - 146, raspberries - 32, poached egg - 70
Snack: 2 thin slices of Swiss cheese - 140, 1/2 c. Cherry tomatoes - 45
Lunch: Chef salad w/ ranch - 502
Snack: Triumph Slim - 80
Dinner: 6 oz beef - 411, grilled peppers & onions - 62
Snack: Cottage cheese - 161, avocado - 81
Total Calories: 1360

I hope all this helps to clear up some of the confusion that surrounds Phase 3. If you have any questions, feel free to email me - lowery@hcgdiet.com.

For more resources on Phase 3, check out some of my other Phase 3 posts:
Eating out on Phase 3
Phase 3 Spaghetti
Alternatives to a Steak Day
Phase 3 Sample Menu
Best Phase 3 Pizza
Phase 3 Exercise Plan
3 Important Tips for Phase 3
Phase 3 of the HCG Diet


37 comments:

  1. Hi Lowery, so the drops I use don't have an intermediate phase three, is there a reason why triumph does? And the benefit of doing it? Instead the drops I use say you can keep using them until you have lost the desired amount, and then enter phase three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what you mean by intermediate phase three, would you mind clarifying?

      Delete
    2. Sure, I mean the drops I have you don't begin phase three until you reach your goal, so you basically keep going there are no pauses where you maintain. Does that make sense?

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the clarification. It definitely makes sense. So the only reason I think that could be a potential problem is if you have a lot to lose you may get really worn out being on VLCD for that long. Not to mention your body could become immune to the drops taking them for such long periods of time.

      Mentally, maintenance is always good for me. Sometimes I need a bit of a break from being hungry. :)

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the response, that is my fear I contacted their customer service and they had a small solution for my concerns but I was kinda ehhh with the response. I have already been thinking about switching brands after I use up the supply that I bought and switching to Triumph because of your success. If I do do you get anything if we mention your name, if not you should lol :) Congrats again you look amazing!

      Delete
    5. Moving Mountains.......I was on P2 for 67 days, longer than protocol, because I still felt good and still had losses, and if I could I would continue until I reached my goal of 135ish-140. I started at 208. But know I kinda of feel that my body needs a break, so today i started P3, very nervous about it, but I figure if I do the 3 weeks now, I can start another round on July 4, where Im going to a party and can load.......lol

      Delete
  2. I am almost at the end of my first round of p2. This is the exact thing I needed to read today. I have been so nervous about what to do next. Thank you for sharing your journey. It has truly been my inspiration this last 24 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this post helped you! Let me know if you need help with anything else. :)

      Delete
  3. I have read a few places that if you have a lot to lose that you can take 3 weeks of between rounds.

    I would love your thoughts on this.

    I am on R1P2D30 and down 40 pounds. I have atleast 100 minimum I play on losing.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to take 4-6 weeks. It's good for me mentally and I think it's good practice to maintain your weight for a little longer.

      Congrats on your weight loss so far! You'll be at 100 before you know it. :)

      Delete
  4. I began this diet 1 week a go. I was excellent everyday. But did not notice any weight loss. What am I doing wrong? What happens if you cheat a littel.. Help..
    I just miss eat breakfast..can I eat an egg with toast and coffe and then the rest of the day follow the plan??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im almost done phase3..i followed the diet to the letter..no cheating..the first 10 days i lost 13lbs..then the next week only 1lb, the week after that again only 1lb..im not sure why this happened..like i said i followed it strictly..its a easy diet to follow..i am going to do it again..(its the only diet that ive ever lost more than 2lbs with)..so my question is how long should i wait before i start over again?..and what should i eat for my loading days..how much should i gain?..the first time i barely gained 3lbs..i was afraid to pig out in case i wouldnt loose the extra pounds..lol..could my stall be because i didnt eat alot of fattening foods for my loading days?..Thanks..Congrats on your successful weight loss!..and Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should wait 3-6 weeks before starting another round. Not loading probably can definitely lead to slower weight loss. Loading is what gets the hormone into your fat stores so if you don't load well, the hormone isn't in the places where you need to lose weight.

      :) Thanks for following my blog! I hope all that helps.

      Delete
    2. Thanks!..i will make sure to load up good next time..i know now that i dont have to worry about the extra weight..lol..Your blog has been very helpfull...Thanks again for sharing and helping us along to our goal..:)

      Delete
    3. You're welcome. :) Thanks so much for following.

      Delete
  6. I love that you added this. I have printed this for my reference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this blog!!! I'm in R1P2D18 and I've lost 16.8 lbs so far. I'm doing a 40 day round ending June 10th. I really appreciate the sample menus for P3.

    ReplyDelete
  8. im on my third try of hcg. iv always had success in loosing weight on it. usually 13 pounds the first week. but the last time I put it all back on really quickly. I always mess up the phase 3. im really hoping to do a better job this time. I think my main problem is drinking. im very used to social drinking on the weekends and missing out on that for too many weekends messes me up. I always end up cheating and cheating bad. I recently read that I glass of wine in phae 3 is okay. im going to try that and hope it maskes a difference in me feeling too restricted and just giving up. any thought?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi yesterday was my last shot im confuse of when do I need to start ph3 please help me thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. You start 72 hours after last dose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am just completing P2 - I am a Ovo Vegetarian, plz help with my protein options, I am worried I will not be able to take in enough to maintain the loss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have eggs, Boca burgers (non-breaded), cottage cheese, tofu, ect.

      Delete
  12. Wow, what a fantastic resource! I'm in P2 currently and I've been reading through your blog since discovering it maybe a week or so ago...I've gotten tons of great info! Curious about the Triumph Slim I've seen you mention in a few places...is this a protein shake? I'm nowhere near P3, but planning it keeps me going :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. triumph slim is a protein shake! you can use it on phases 2 and 3. I swear by it. it is amazing.

      Delete
  13. Hi, I'm on R1 P2D23. Do I use the weight from the date of my Last injection or the weight from the last day of P2 (72 hrs after last injection) to stabilize?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am still in phase 2, but am curious if phase 3 is going to be the same for males. 1300 calories is still extremely low. As a veteran my doctors at the VA are just screaming at me for doing this, they made me go to a nutritionalist who told me to get off the HCG, she said a man my size with my body type needs at least 2,100 calories a day AT REST just to keep my body going and gain absolutely no weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can increase up to 1500 calories based on the protocol which was written for men and women. While for most men 2100 calories is the ideal intake, your current situation is different. You are coming up from a low calorie diet, which means you will want to gradually increase your calories. Doing 2100 immediately after finishing the diet would be quite a shock for your body. Once you finish phase 3, if you aren't going to do another round, you'd work from 1500 calories up to 2100. You won't be at 1500 forever. :)

      Delete
  15. Hello, I run out of hcg on my 22 day!! Was planning to do the 23 days.. I also got my TOM so I had to start my 72 hours early .. Will this interfere in my loss or stabilizing? Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arianna,
      If you gain a bit during stabilization, it's most likely because of your TOM. Just stay on track and do a steak day when necessary.

      Delete
  16. Do you sell these products? Or advertise for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work for the company that sells them. I started the diet to show people that they are trustworthy products that really work. The advertisements you see on this blog are for HCGDiet.com's products.

      Delete
  17. Hi! I just finished Phase 2 and the 72 hours. I already knew about adding extra back on slowly and all that (I couldn't eat 1500 calories if I tried lol). My question is that I have an auto-ammune thrroid issue and did not lose as much as I hoped (20 pounds in 37 days), and I did not cheat even a LITTLE. I've never eaten a lot so this wasn't very hard for me and was made easier by making the week's meals ahead of time. Any advice on ways to help with this isue? I would do the days when I didn't lose for 3-4 days, the next day I would lose .5-1 pound and then the next 3 nothing again. I lost 15 pretty quick and then major slow down from then on. I plan on doing one more round in 4-6 weeks so any advice would be great. I would be VERY happy to loe 25-30 more the next round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thyroid issues will slow down your weight loss, it's very common. There isn't much you can do about that, but keep in mind that you are still averaging more than .5 pounds per day and that is incredible. It might be slower than other people's results but it's still great! :)

      Delete
  18. hi. I am really confused. I want to start the HCG diet and have found several sites that list the diet protocal, however what they say to do are different depending on the site you look at. One site says you do not stop the drops at all until you get to phase 3 (because this only pertains to if you are getting injections of the HCG). One site says you can't take any supplements/vitamins (like the triumph slim shake or any vitamins that contain vitamin A, D, or E). I am really confused as to what to do. Please help! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Were you able to lose any weight during the maintenance? I lost 31 pounds in the 40 days and I want to keep losing. Just curious?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so enjoying your blog. I'm just finishing up phase 2 and I'm confused about phase 3. Everywhere I read something different. The book talks about eating a great deal of calories because HCG has been releasing so many and you don't want to make it go in to starvation mode. However I've read many other places to slowly increase calories, like you're saying.

    Also eating that few calories and exercising, did you continue to lose weight? I'm no where near my goal and don't plan to do HCG again, so I would love to continue losing, but I'm afraid not stabilizing will be a bad choice.

    ReplyDelete